Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sorry, I've been stitching... just not posting!

Between Sam & teaching, I've just not had any time to post anything about what little stitching I've been able to accomplish!

So here's a little update:
Amigurumi MADNESS!!!!

Yep... It is still no secret I'm not fond of the crochet process.
However, the product is so irresistibly cute, I cannot help it!

I've been making & adapting pattern basics from this imaginative but basic book:

Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts Amigugmi by Tomoko Takamori

Non-crochet & visual learners will love the icons which are used instead of initial abbreviations in her design instructions.

The first was the Duck:
I did not care for the legs in the pattern, so I designed some "flipper feet" (an easy pattern will follow, but I've mislaid the post-it I used for notes).

I showed it to my Art Class at school to gauge interest for an after school crochet workshop (Short answer: YES!). One of my sweetest students requested a Puppy. I would have made one myself just for her. The real heart-warming thing was that she said she'd never ask for one for herself... She wanted it to give to her mother for her birthday & she knew she couldn't learn how to do it in time! SQUISH!


I've moved on to the most complex design of the book to make butterflies for my Niece 's Christmas present.
(I also used a little stash cotton to cover one of Sam's favorite, but somewhat chewed-upon rubber balls.)

Again, I made a few little stylistic changes to the pattern (ex. Butterflies are insects, ergo six legs & I wanted a girl-y butterfly… hence the bikini top.)

Yes. I know, there are no mammary glands on insects...

There is a Pink & Blue version in the works, too!


Over the past months, I've also made the February Baby Sweater (shown here in progress) & am almost done with the adult version!
Not being a wealthy knitter, I've substituted dishcloth cotton for the worsted wool for which the pattern calls. I'm pretty happy with it so far... but cotton can stretch in unattractive ways. So, only time will tell.

I've also made some little quick dishcloth cotton finger puppets:
if anyone wants me to post a pattern, it's very simple & fast if you are proficient with DPNs....

I also have figured a seamless version of a cute sleeveless shell pattern (W by Kristi Porter) from knitty.com Spring 2005.
I LOVED working with my stash of Katia Jamaica cotton!

It even looks good when I wear it. Too cold to model it now... Sigh.

As is this lovely camisole made from a yummy sock yarn (Razor Cami by Katie Marcus... it's a free pattern on her blog!) made as part of the Knit Girls KAL August 2009:
Detail of the stitch pattern:
So... I've been working... Just not documenting.

When Christmas Break comes, perhaps I can post a pattern & pictures of my Dangly Tiger made for Sam's birthday. That was some adorable fun.

One of these days... Sigh.

1 comment:

My Hoppy Prace said...

Where's the pattern for the duck feet?! Need!!! Please!!!