Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Who Ya Gonna Call? Stash Busters!


Here's the best little stash buster I've seen in the longest!
I'm so happy to share it...

Here is the original cozie pattern:

http://myknittingbasket.blogspot.com/2009/11/owl-coffee-cup-cozie.html

I had a bunch of 30-40 yd. remainders from all my Koolhaas Hats, etc.… & Christmas was COMING!!! I needed to make some seriously QUICK gifts... which could be taken seriously.

I love the classic Cable Owl Motif & I really enjoy this knitter's take on it.

There's even a wonderful free pattern which adapts it for a hat :

http://penguinpurls.blogspot.com/2008/12/who.html

There's even more to find using this simple, yet fabulous, cable on Ravelry...

Does anyone know where it began? I remember seeing it in my Mother's old pattern books, but I just can't remember which one... It was a pattern for a little girl's sweater. Hmm...

I worked up another version which tweaks the ribbing sequence to match up perfectly with the Owl Motifs. The subsequent decreases also allow for a k2tog on the right “ear” & a SSK on the left to finish it off well before the ribbing resumes.

Awwww… GEEK OUT! I suppose I can't help it. Hope my compulsive tics help y'all:

To make the Owl Cable Motifs & the ribbing sync up, I changed the count to 50 on the cast-on with a (P2, K2, P2, K4) repeat.

Using smaller DPNs (size 5), I increased thus: (P2, M1, K2, M1, P2, K4) =60 sts

I switched to the larger DPNs (size 7) & did the Owl Cables as written.

Using smaller DPNs, I decreased thus: (K2tog, K4, SSK, K4) = 50sts

I finished with 5 rows of (P2, K2, P2, K4) & BO in patt.

I still don’t know where I’ll find those funky googly eyes the designer used...

I really wanted to use buttons for the eyes.

In the end, I decided to embroider eyes. It’s a little fussy & labor intensive… But, I prefer the look to what eye-options were available to me.

Look out Stash!

These make great gifts & the wool really DOES work better than the little disposable sleeves you get & then toss away.

1 comment:

Echo M said...

Something else that works great for the owl eyes is amber glass beads, I had some in my stitch markers bead stash that worked so perfectly. I did mine with ruse and olive tones from reclaimed and over dyed yarns. Your's looks great!