Saturday, November 8, 2008

Strike While the Iron is Hot!

I must post as fast as I can while the Sam sleeps!

More on my flirtation with crochet:

Ok… I know.

I usually hate crochet.

Why am I doing this?

One answer? LOVE.
(Plus… I think I’m developing a guilty pleasure in amigurumi-style crochet. Sigh. How could anyone fight the cuteness? I’m sooo weak!)

My friend Mary loves all thing Studio Ghibli & especially this kami-wood-spirit-sprite, Totoro.
How could I resist hooking her up for her birthday?

I found a darlin' pattern, that even though it is crochet, is the best version of this character I've found:

http://heavens-hellcat.livejournal.com/420.html

It was a bit tedious through the body, but that is simply because I personally find the crochet process itself tedious... I recommend the pattern to anyone who enjoys it.

However, I now know enough that I’ll probably knit one the next time.
Yeah… this guy is soo cute… There has to be a next time so Sam can have one.

Now I just have to crochet a leaf for his sweet little head (I just improvised a leaf using the ear pattern & then stitching it together to flatten it)…

There. Soooper Cute!


I hope Mary loves it.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

She will love it!

Holly said...

Amagarumi are TOTALLY a trap set by crocheters to lure you in! Beware! Bewaaaare! lol I've been meaning to write and tell you that Marian, the lady you knit the Clementine Shawlette for, has been looking for you at the Knit Nook so she can pay you! Hopefully she's found you by now! Hope you and Sam are well and taking good care of yourselves!

Lora said...

Amagarumi is about the only reason I want to learn to crochet.
Totoro rocks...we have a movie with totoro in it. Kids like it.