Thursday, June 26, 2008

Knitting as Therapy???

"I'll take "The Rapists" for $200, Trebek!"
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Jeopardy!_(Saturday_Night_Live)]

I've only had a successful brush with therapy ONCE. I've tried many times. I run into the basic problems. (i.e. My therapist is not as smart/creative/well educated as I would hope... They do not trust that I will not harm myself when I admit to thinking about it but say I refuse to indulge in my thoughts (aka "ideations")... Or, worst of all, I am able to charm them into talking about something else other than my issues for the hour I am with them...)

I know I SAID I'd avoid my personal issues in this blog. However, there is a disclaimer in the 1st post.

So, considering I have not had much success in my search for what society calls therapy to combat the stresses, depressions, & evil intrusive thoughts... Why am I still here? Art. Quite Simply, I have not made all the things I want to yet.

Summer Vacation (which is really a "Staycation") often results in a depression for me. I am overjoyed to have my Sam, but there is still a lot on my mind & weighing down my heart from the rough break-up with his deadbeat father (Hence-forth referred to as "The Sperm Donor")... Plus myriad other bugaboos from my squirming toad of a maladjusted psyche.

I have some "Capital A" Art ambitions, but it is difficult to follow up on those when you are completely broke & devoting the best of your energies to an adorable little Sprout.

Even though I have been knitting since an early age, it seems to be the go to Art/Craft, lately.

Expensive? Heck, yeah! Right now I am on what knitters call a “Yarn Diet” (since I pay more for my son’s day care than I do for my mortgage). As I have to work only with the yarn I already have… I’m finding that it forces me to be a bit more creative in my stitching choices & emphasize getting my thrill from designing my own stuff!

The Knitting Groups (Quills Knitters & The Knit Nook... even ravelry.com online) I go to keep me from "isolating" & giving in to the indulgence of a depression.

Recently, I've been making EVERYTHING out of dishcloth yarn & scrap. For the cotton, I can thank a wonderful woman at my LYS who gave me a big bag of it! (Thank You Liz!) Anyway, Peaches & Creme or Sugar & Spice is a colorful, washable, comfy & indestructible knitting medium! (Once again, ask Liz, whose man cleaned a grill with one of her dishcloths… ostensibly to show how “useful” it was… She did say it was a pink one he never liked…)

I've been designing a Lion Stuffie out of the aforementioned cotton to be my part in the Quills Knitters Summer KAL.

I will finally finish the many little projects I have started & put on hiatus this year.

I'm gonna make a dreamy version of the Mr. Greenjeans Cardigan out of stashed Malabrigo I had even forgotten I still had. Fellow knitters, IMAGINE my delight when I discovered THAT hidden in an unassuming plastic grocery bag during my latest yarn closet reorganization! Sigh.
[http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTgreenjeans.html]

I wish I felt this way about a FOOD diet!

Yes. Yarn addiction is a sock monkey on my back.

But, I will say this: Knitting is cheaper & more effective than psychotherapy!

2 comments:

Wolfgang said...

There's a Ravelry thread on "knitting vs. therapy" . . . I find a good combination of both suits the bill!! (Knitting DURING therapy - all right!)

Sonya said...

Amen on all accounts! I am glad to know that we give a little back, because we get so much from you and your Sam.