Monday, June 23, 2008

"I used to be an Intellectual..."

“I used to be an Intellectual… Then I had children!” -Bill Cosby

I will be the first to admit something happens to your mind when you spend most of your conscious time with a non-verbal, breast obsessed male… Lately, I’ve been fascinated by Norah Gaughan’s Celestine pattern for Polyhedrons (as you can see in my other projects). I hope she (or Buckminster Fuller r.i.p.) is not too taken aback by my Fiber Art homage to Motherhood, Breastfeeding & Baby Boys.

Any hoo… I have taken Celestine as a starting point & then went off the rails with the “Boob-a-Hedron”! This is the first piece of art I've felt COMPELLED to make since Sam's birth. I mean the kind of driven, stay-up-late-and-not-care kind of art I love to make. The kind of art that causes you to have an internal dialogue like a child making mud-pies... when time has no meaning & you only love your present moment kind of thing... Sigh.

I changed the increases to make for more rounded breasts & modified the closures to shape out the nipples.

Yes. I know it's absurd.

If you’re not laughing… Then you just don’t get it.


There are stars in the structure!!!


I also think it rather odd & beautiful that the unstuffed Boob-a-hedron looks a little bit like a Lotus Flower!

Sam really enjoys the piece. I waited to unveil it at my Tuesday night knitting group (Quills Knitters)... Not only did I want to show off the piece, I wanted the ladies to get the full enjoyment of watching Sam's first impression. Thankfully, our fearless leader, Sonya, was there with her camera. I adore the sequence of Sam's reactions: Astonishment, Infatuation, then... Frustration with Artifice ("Hey! These things don't work!").

I did do a "serious" art piece on the multi-breast theme two years ago, when I still had some ambitions to capital "A" Ahrrrt! (Those ambitions are currently dormant... not dead!)

It was well received as a performance art costume/performance & I was really proud to have it hang here in Louisville at the Zephyr Gallery for a few months as part of a show the performances curator/coordinator Michelle Kellond Amos was having... I'm sure more than a few of the visitors that came there thought she did every piece in the show... I was just thrilled to be out there showing at all!

I don't know if the Artist's Statement is readable here... During the Performances, MKA read our words & there was incredible improvised jazz by Ut Gret while we danced around in our costumes. It was probably ridiculously pretentious. I don't care. I had a blast!

I'd love to do more Art. Each Summer I swear I'm gonna get enough stuff together for a gallery show of my own... Perhaps this is the year...

You knowwhat? Why is knitting never given gallery space? I see tons of things on Ravelry that would definitely qualify as Art rather than Craft (I'll write an entry about Art vs. Craft later, I suppose...). So... Why no knitting?

6 comments:

Sonya said...

Amen to last paragraph. I have seen lots of knitting that should be considered art.

Wolfgang said...

There actually has been some knitting in art galleries. Larissa Brown and her Meatheads exhibit come to mind - http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATsum06WTS.html. There are also a lot of "plushie" galleries - I think Anna from www.mochimochiland.com frequently has her knitted toys in galleries.

I'm not sure, but I think there might be a sweater at the Speed, or maybe there was at one time. Must investigate!

(By the way, now that Leo is asleep I am going back and reading all of your old blog entries. I must say, I will be frequenting your site!)

tata said...

I love love love love LOVE the boob ball! I bow to your genius in creating it!

Helle from Denmark said...

*LOL* Well...I think Sam will grow up being REALLY "FACINATED" about boops........he really have, if anybody have, literally being fed with them...!*GIGGLE*

PhilosophiKat said...

I just posted a huge blog post of my own in honor of your blog post!!!

http://veronicarevisited.blogspot.com/2008/11/boob-hedron.html

thank you for such gorgeous handiwork!!!

daneko said...

Hello!
This is very very good!
How nice!
If it is possible please tell me how to make it.
I'd like to get this pattern.